Blogger Backgrounds

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Practice makes perfect!

So as most of you know i signed up for a Cake decorating class at Michaels. I've only been to one class so far and we've only learned small techniques. But the teacher asked us to make a practice cake and just play around with the decorating bags and tips. So on Monday i spent all night baking a cake and preparing the frosting (until 12:45am). The next day I came home and got out my frosting put some color in it and began frosting my cake. I wanted the base to be green and then purple flowers. I haven't learned how to do flowers yet so i just decided to wing it. Here's how it went...

Here's the two layers put together with a strawberry filling

I used my cake icing tip and smoothed it out. Pretty good for my first time. But... I ran out of green frosting. They say it's really hard to re-mix another batch of frosting to get it the exact same color. Plus i didn't have any more white frosting. I had already colored it purple. So i decided to make the top purple.

Not bad... But then there's the seam between the purple and green that i had to do something about......So i filled it with stars! One of the techniques I learned in classSo that worked... Then i wanted to add something more. So i took my remaining purple frosting, made it a darker purple and then I attempted flowers... After a lot of practice on my practice board i got the hang of it.It was hard, but very good practice!The finished product! It's a Heavenly white cake, with strawberry filling and buttercream frosting. It turned out YUMMY!Cutting the cake

Everyone really enjoyed it. I know I'm going to have so much fun in my classes! I definitely have a lot to learn! But for now... this was a good start for me!

2 comments:

jason & kiley. said...

Em! That cake is beautiful! I swear you don't even need to take a class, you're already so good at it! The words with the sparklers look so fun! I hope we can get together before I leave!

StepherB said...

SO CUTE! I really like it! I like how you did not let the green frosting running out stop you! The green and the purple look great together! I better start practicing more so I can be as good as you!