Blogger Backgrounds

Monday, June 29, 2009

Here's what we've been up to!

The next 3 posts is some of what we've been up to in the last week or two!

So... IT'S OFFICIAL! I have signed up to take cake decorating classes. I've been wanting to find something that I can do that includes creativity, imagination and working with my hands. I've finally found what i want to do! I won't be quitting my day job, I'll mostly just do cakes as a side. But I have signed up for Wilton Cake Decorating classes at Michael's. Me and a few girls at work will be starting the classes this Friday. There are 3 courses. Each course is every Tuesday night (with the exception of the very first one since I'll be in Arizona.) for one month. So I'll complete the first course in July, the second in August and the third in September. I'll be learning skills such icing cakes, baking and forming cake. I'll also learn lots of techniques like boarders, flowers, writing, tiered cakes, fondant, basket weave and wedding cake assembly.
I'm really really excited! I think this is going to be something that I'll love! So this weekend I did a practice run. Our friend Ryan came home from his mission in Spain. So i took advantage of the occasion and decided to make him a cake. I can make cakes from the box... that's easy. But this weekend i decided to make a cake from scratch. So on Friday I made a white cake and then on Saturday i made butter cream icing. At 8:30 on Saturday i sat down at my kitchen table to begin icing a cake. Next thing i know, I'm done with the cake and it is 11:45 pm! It took me forever!

I'll admit, I'm a perfectionist. I like things to look nice and be done right. My mom came over for moral support and finally had to tell me "Emily, you will not be able to make cakes if you can't live with some imperfections." So i started to deal with them and just tried to do the best that i knew how. I think it turned out pretty good for being my very 1st cake.
Before...

During... Right here you can see a paper towel covering the other third of the cake. I did this to create straight lines. I just took toothpicks and pinned the paper towel down and then when i lifted it up it formed a perfectly straight line!

Here is the icing all put on! I tucked wax paper under the edges of the cake so that i wouldn't get frosting all over the board.
Here's the finished product! For some reason i couldn't get this picture turned the other way, SORRY!
Here's the edging that i put around the cake. I totally winged that one, i didn't know what i was doing but it turned out pretty good!
In the end, here are all the dishes it took me to make one cake! Haha, Except for the strainer, and pot, I used those for macaroni and cheese. I'll keep everyone updated on the cakes to come!!

0 comments: